Infectious Diseases Clinical Fellowship

The program offers a unique 12-month Infectious Diseases Clinical Fellowship following successful completion of the Infectious Diseases PGY-2 Residency. The program offers training in clinical infectious diseases, clinical and translational research, and academia.  The overarching goal of this program is to prepare the graduating fellow for multiple future opportunities within infectious diseases including a non-tenure or tenure-track faculty position, clinical specialist position, or medical science liaison.

The clinical fellowship year will have a 60% focus on academia and research, with the remaining 40% of time spent in direct patient care activities. The fellow will have the opportunity to work with other pharmacy and medical trainees including residents and pharmacy students.  Unique to this program design is the continuity in patient care activities while gaining a working expertise in clinical/translational research and didactic and experiential student instruction.

Program faculty are noted regional and national experts in clinical infectious diseases with track records of success in research and academia.  Patient care activities will primarily be at Palmetto Health, the university affiliated tertiary care, academic medical center. The ID fellow will work closely with the University of South Carolina/Palmetto Health Infectious Diseases Medical Fellowship Program.  Primary and elective rotations will include key areas of inpatient and outpatient infectious diseases (e.g. microbiology, HIV clinic, ID consults, antimicrobial stewardship).  Fellows will be designated with a faculty appointment as a clinical instructor at the University of South Carolina.  Pharmacy and infectious diseases organizational involvement will be emphasized in the program.  Fellows will be eligible to enroll in a dual-degree program through the Arnold School of Public Health at USC.  The School of Public Health offers Masters Programs in Public Health with emphasis on Epidemiology and Biostatistics.  A certificate of completion will be awarded upon completion of the required program objectives.   

Program Director

P. Brandon Bookstaver,
PharmD, BCPS (AQ-ID), AAHIVP

Program Coordinator

Celeste Caulder, 
PharmD