About Dr. Schulz
Dr. Schulz has a long and distinguished career as a scholar, researcher, and exemplary teacher, having worked for the past 29 years in the South Carolina College of Pharmacy (SCCP), following four years as faculty at West Virginia University He has been extensively involved in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses , and mentoring students and junior faculty. He was named Teacher of the Year by SCCP in 2001, as well as Researcher of the Year in 1999 and 2007 Dr. Schulz has 33 years’ of experience as an investigator examining questions about medication adherence, patient quality of life and the impact of pharmacist interventions.. Prior to his academic positions, he was a practicing pharmacist in both hospital and community settings..
He has participated in externally funded field studies that implemented community-based interventions and assessed medication-taking behavior and patient outcomes, including hospitalization and emergency department utilization. One of the studies focused on diabetes management in an underserved population. Dr. Schulz has collaborated extensively with the Office for the Study of Aging at the Arnold School of Public Health, where he serves as Adjunct Professor.
Doctor of Pharmacy, Pharmacy Administration
University of North Carolina 1983
Masters of Science, Pharmacy Administration
University of North Carolina 1980
Bachelor of Science, Pharmacy
University of Maryland 1976
- Outcomes research
- medication adherence field and experimental studies
- quality of life
- mental health
- primary data collection methods
- Bennett CL, Chen B, Hermanson T, Wyatt MD, Schulz RM, Georgantopoulos P, Kessler S, Raisch DW, Qureshi ZP, Lu ZK, Love BL, Noxon V, Bobolts L, Armitage M, Bian J, Ray P, Ablin RJ, Hrushesky WJ, Macdougall IC, Sartor O, Armitage JO. Regulatory and clinical considerations for biosimilar oncology drugs. Lancet Oncol. 2014 Dec;15(13):e594-e605. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(14)70365-1. Epub 2014 Nov 24.
- Lu ZK, Kessler SJ, Schulz R, Bian J, Chen B., et al. Systematic Approach to Pharmacovigilance beyond the Limits: The Southern Network on Adverse Reactions (SONAR) Projects. Adv Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 2014;3:149. doi:10.4172/2167-1052.1000149
- Schulz RM, Porter C, Lane M, Cornman A, Branham L. Impact of a medication management system in nursing home admission rate in a community-dwelling nursing home-eligible Medicaid population. American Journal of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy 2011;9:69-79.
- Bookstaver PB, Rudisill CN, Bickley RA, McAbee CE, Miller AD, Piro CC, Schulz R. Perceived influence of an Evidence Based Medicine elective course on student performance during Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. Am J Pharm Educ 2011;75(1):Article 9.
- Miller AD, Phillips LM, Schulz RM, Bookstaver PB, Rudisill CN. Differences in hospital glycemic control and insulin requirements recovering from critical illness and those without prior critical illness. Clinical Pharmacology: Advances and Applications 2010:2;1-6.
- Blizzard J, Richardson WH, Michels JE, Reeder CE, Schulz RM, Holstege C. Cost-Benefit Analysis of a Regional Poison Center. Clinical Toxicology 2008;46(5):450-6.
- SPECTRA Panel Members, Schulz RM, Garnett WR, Bramley T. Conversions between Monotherapies in Epilepsy: Expert Consensus. Epilepsy and Behavior 2007;11(2):222-34.
- McKeown RE, Cuffe, SP, Schulz RM. U.S. Suicide Rates by Age Groups, 1970-2002: An Examination of Recent Trends. American Journal of Public Health 2006;96(10):1744-51.