About Dr. Norris
LeAnn Norris, PharmD, is an Associate Professor of the Clinical Pharmacy and Outcomes Sciences department at the South Carolina College of Pharmacy in Columbia, SC. She completed her PharmD degree at the University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy in Columbia in 2004. After graduation, she completed a PYG1 residency at the Moses Cone Health System in Greensboro, North Carolina. In 2006, she completed her PGY2 residency at the Regional Cancer Center within the Moses Cone Health System in Greensboro. She was the 2010 recipient of the Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association New Practitioner of the Year Award. Her research interests include supportive care, hospice/palliative care issues, and medication safety. She has also won numerous teaching awards including Teacher of the Year and Clinical Teacher of the Year for the University of South Carolina.
Doctor of Pharmacy
University of South Carolina, 2004
Moses Cone Health Center/Regional Cancer Center, 2005-2006
PGY1 Pharmacy Practice
Moses Cone Health Center, 2004-2005
Pharmacotherapy, Year Certified: 2006
Oncology, Year Certified: 2008
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
Medical Oncology, Hospice/Palliative Care
- Medication Safety
- Medical Oncology – Supportive Care, Monoclonal antibodies, Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors
- Palliative Care – Pharmacy impact and interventions
Norris LB, Bennett CL. A Comparative Study of Rituximab – associated Progressive
Multifocal Leucoencephalopathy (PML). University of South Carolina ASPIRE I
Grant. $10,000, funded. (Primary investigator)
Norris LB, Bennett CL. Supporting outstanding academic research grants at USC
(SOAR – USC): A Comparative Study of Rituximab-associated Progressive
Multifocal Leucoencephalopathy (PML). American Cancer Society. $30, 000,
funded. (Primary investigator, 20% effort)
Bian J, Bennett CL, Schulz, R, Norris LB, et al. SONAR: Focus on Tyrosine Kinase
Inhibitors. National Institutes of Health-R01. $2,300,000, funded. (Co-investigator
5% effort) ; 1R01CA165609-01A1.
Norris LB, Lu K, Sutton SS, Bennett CL. Diabetes and Risk of Bladder Cancer: A
Retrospective Cohort Study among the Veteran Affairs Population. Provost Clinical
Incentive Pilot Grants, Unviersity of South Carolina. $ 15,000, funded. (Primary
Kablaoui, Farah, Bookstaver PB, Norris LB. Use of antibiotic lock therapy in centralline
associated bloodstream infections in cancer patients. Magellan Scholarship Grant.
Maxwell, W, Qureshi ZA, Norris LB, Bennet CL.Who’s Watching MedWatch: An
assessment of hematology-oncology drugs and VTE reporting. Doris Meddin Grant,
University of South Carolina. $ 12, 944. Funded. (Co-Investigator)
Sutton SS, Rao G, Hardin J, Norris LB, Bennett CL. Transition of care in patients
with castrate / hormone resistant prostate cancer. Funded - $75,000. October 2011 –
October 2013. Strategic Marketing Technologies (SMT). Sutton SS, Rao G, Hardin
J, Norris LB, Bennett CL. (Co-investigator, 5% of time).
Teacher of the Year Award(P3 Class ) - 2015
University Clinical Practice Teaching Award - 2014
Teacher of the Year Award (SCCP both campuses) - 2014
Teach of the Year Award (P3 Class ) - 2014
Two Thumbs Up Award (Office of Student Disability Services ) - 2014
HOPA New Practitioner Award - 2010
- Hermanson T, Norris LB, Bian J, Sartor O, Bennett CL. Toxicity and costs associatedwith new cancer drugs: international implications. J Clin Oncol 2014; Nov 10;32(32): 3591-2.
- Jarkowski A, Norris L, Trinh V. Controversies in the management of Advanced melanoma: “Gray areas amid the “Black and Blue”. Ann Pharmacother 2014; 48(11): 1456-68.
- Bookstaver PB, Rokas KE, Norris LB, Edwards JM, Sherertz RJ. Stability and compatibility of antimicrobial lock solutions. Am J Health System Pharm 2013; 70(24): 2185-98.
- Magwood JS, Lebby A, Chen B, Kessler S, Norris L, Bennett CL. Emerging drugs for treatment of anemia chronic kidney disease. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2013 Dec;18(4):421-9.
- Strassels SA, Dickson M, Norris LB, Benentt CL. Primary prophylaxis with hematopoietic colony stimulating factor: insights from a Canadian cost-effective analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst 2013; 2015(15): 1072 – 3.
- Bennett CL, Djulbegovic B, Norris LB, Armitage JO. Colony-stimulating factors for febrile neutropenia during cancer therapy. N Engl J Med 2013; 368(12): 1131-9.
- Miller AD, Norris LB, Bookstaver PB. Use of Wikis in Pharmacy Hybrid Elective Courses. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2012 June 29 [Epub ahead of print]
- Bookstaver BB, Miller AD, Felder TM, Tice DL, Norris LB, Sutton SS. Assessing Pharmacy Residents’ Knowledge of Biostatistics and Research Study Design. Ann Pharmacotherapy. 2012 Jul;46(7-8):991-9.
- Qureshi ZP, Norris LB, Sartor OA, McKoy JM, Armstrong J, Raisch DW, Garg V, Stafkey-Mailey D, Bennett CL. Caveat Oncologist: Clinical findings and consequences of distributing counterfeit erythropoietin in the United States. JOP Mar 1, 2012:84-90.
- Raisch D, Campbell W, Garg V, Qureshi ZP, Bookstaver PB, Norris LB, Bennett CL. Description of Anaphylactic Reactions to Paclitaxel and Docetaxel Reported to the FDA, with a Focus on the Role of Premedication. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2011 Jul;10(4):521-8.
- Bookstaver PB, Miller AD, Rudisill CR, Norris LB. Intravenous ibuprofen (Caldolor): The first injectable product for the treatment of pain and fever. Journal of Pain Research 2010; 3: 67-79.
- Bookstaver PB, Norris LB, Rudisill C, DeWitt T, Aziz S, Fant J. Multiply toxic effects of low-dose methotrexate in the treatment of psoriasis. American Journal of Health Systems Pharmacist 2008; 65 (22): 2117-2121.