Improving Health through Leadership and Innovation in Pharmacy Education, Research, and Patient Care.
The South Carolina College of Pharmacy (SCCP) was formed in 2004 through the integration of the Colleges of Pharmacy at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, and the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. The SCCP is a statewide education, research, and service institution that maximizes its resources to:
- Educate pharmacy students to become leaders in meeting the pharmacy care needs of our citizens and the public we serve.
- Conduct exceptional and innovative research to improve health care, guide population-level drug policy, and enhance pharmacy education.
- Provide pharmacy services that are models in advancing the practice of pharmacy and improving health care.
- Serve the life-long learning needs of practicing pharmacists through excellence in continuing education.
- Educate future professional, academic, and research leaders through the highest quality graduate, residency, and fellowship programs.
The integrated College combines the nationally recognized faculty, staff, and resources of the Medical University of South Carolina, a major academic medical center, the University of South Carolina, a large comprehensive university, and the Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center, a progressive hospital system, to create a statewide approach to pharmacy education that is on a par with some of the most highly regarded colleges in the United States. Students have broader access to experts and an increased range of training opportunities. The SCCP offers expanded pharmacy education and service throughout the state, provides national leadership in residency programs, and conducts pioneering research that leads to new and improved treatments for common diseases.
The South Carolina College of Pharmacy offers the full four-year Pharm.D. and graduate programs on both the USC and MUSC campuses. Starting in 2011, students could also complete their last two years on the GHS campus. The SCCP has a simplified Pharm.D. admission process. Prospective students choose either USC or MUSC campus to attend for the four-year program, depending on space availability, and selected students may apply to transfer to the GHS campus for their final two years.
The first class of students for the South Carolina College of Pharmacy graduated in August 2010. The SCCP has 190 students in each class – 110 on the USC campus; 80 on the MUSC campus. The GHS campus has capacity for 25 third-year students and numerous rotation sites for additional fourth-year students. In total, more than 750 pharmacy students are enrolled on the campuses of the University of South Carolina and the Medical University of South Carolina.
Message from the Dean